Well, for starters this is definitely out of the range of what I normally do. But heck, if it’s a costume or a dress, it’s all the same! This was a very big challenge for me due to the fact that I never made a dress before. I have done skirts, but this commission was totally different. However, I did learn a lot in the end and it had helped me improve just a bit!
The commission was to copy a dress from online, but with a few minor adjustments and fabric choice. The customer wanted a sky blue dress with satin trim. Luckily, I was given quite a bit of freedom with this dress! During my shopping I found a beautiful teal blue fabric that was embroidered with a floral pattern. I fell in love with this fabric and so did the customer!
In the end I couldn’t find a pattern for the dress, so I had to pick two up and combine them. Which, ended up making the dress much more complicated! (I now have a new-found hate for zippers!!) But it eventually all came together. I made my own pattern for the bow and belt.
Note: The dress was made to have a petticoat underneath, however I did not have one for the mannequin photos. The last photo is the customer with the dress and petticoat.
–This type of dress may be available for commission in the future.–